If you enjoy coconut flavored coffee you are going to love our coconut cold brew coffee recipe.
The combination of cold brew coffee concentrate, coconut coffee syrup and milk topped with a flourish of whipped cream and shredded coconut is icy cold, refreshing and simply delicious.
I hope you enjoy our cold brew coffee with coconut recipe!
About Our Coconut Cold Brew Coffee Recipe
Lovers of coffee and coconuts will be pleased to know there are many different ways to enjoy coconut flavored coffee.
From a Thai inspired iced coffee with coconut milk to a hot and creamy coconut milk coffee and the Starbucks Toasted Coconut Cold Brew (rip..), coffee with coconut is a much loved coffee drink.
So taking inspiration from all these coconut coffee recipes, our coconut cold brew recipe is our yummy take on this popular flavor combination.
Made with a batch of homemade cold brew, a sweet homemade coconut coffee syrup, milk and optional toppings of whipped cream or milk foam, our flavored cold brew recipe is the perfect way to enjoy coconut in coffee.
What You Need To Make Cold Brew Coffee With Coconut
To make cold brew coconut coffee at home you will need the following equipment and ingredients.
- Coarse cold brew coffee grounds
- Cold brew coffee maker, french press or pitcher
- Coconut flavored syrup (included in recipe below)
- Milk (dairy or coconut milk)
- Heavy whipping cream or milk foam (optional)
If you don’t want to make cold brew coffee concentrate from scratch, simply buy cold brew concentrate at the store or online.
I like Wandering Bear Extra Strong Cold Brew Coffee On Tap, and the Starbucks Bottled Unsweetened Cold Brew is a popular choice too.
The same goes for the coconut syrup. I include the recipe to make homemade coconut syrup for coffee, but there are many good store bought options available if that is not your thing.
I like this one by Monin and this one by Torani is popular too.
See the recipe below for all the ingredients and quantities.
How To Make Coconut Coffee With Cold Brew
Okay, let’s show you how to make coconut cold brew at home!
Step 1 – Make A Batch Of Cold Brew Coffee
First you need to make a batch of cold brew coffee – and be aware this takes 12-16 hours to brew!
I’ve outlined the basic steps to make cold brew at home below. If you are new to this, see our detailed guide to brewing cold brew in a french press here.
So get this done the night before, or make a large batch and store in the fridge to use each day.
You need to use coarse ground coffee to make a good batch of cold brew.
If your coffee grinder doesn’t grind to a coarse size (many don’t do it well) you are best to buy coffee ground especially for cold brewing. We review all the best options here.
The trick to a good cold brew is the ratio of coffee to water.
For a flavored cold brew recipe I like to make a strong concentrate so I recommend a coffee ration for cold brew of 1:4. So for each cup of ground coffee add 4 cups of cold water.
Add the grounds and water to a french press (or your cold brew coffee maker) and leave to brew for 12-16 hours.
Once brewed, press the plunger down to separate the coffee from the grounds.
If you are using all of the concentrate right away, pour the required quantity straight from the plunger into your glass.
Otherwise pour the cold brew concentrate into a carafe or jar and store in the refrigerator until needed. It will last for at least a week in the fridge.
Step 2 – Make The Coconut Syrup For Coffee
Now let’s make the coconut flavored coffee syrup.
If you are using store bought coconut syrup you can skip this step!
In a small saucepan add the water, shredded coconut, vanilla extract and sugar.
Bring to the boil and then turn the heat to medium and gently simmer until the liquid thickens (this should take a couple of minutes).
Once thickened, strain the coconut syrup into a bowl or jar using a strainer. Discard the coconut.
If making the coffee syrup ahead of time, store in a sealed jar in the fridge until needed for up to two weeks.
Step 3 – Assemble Your Coconut Cold Brew
When you have both your cold brew concentrate and coconut flavored syrup ready it is time to make your coconut cold brew coffee drink!
Fill a glass with ice and pour 1/2 cup of your cold brew concentrate over ice.
Add 2 tablespoons of coconut syrup to the cold brew and stir to combine.
Finally top with 1/4 cup of milk and 1/4 cup water.
Enjoy as is or see the final optional step for decorative drink toppings!
Step 4 – Add Optional Toppings
If you like to add a little decorative topping to your cold brew, here are two options:
Froth 1/4 cup of milk in a milk frother or with a hand held frother until creamy.
Pour over your coconut cold brew and sprinkle a small amount of shredded coconut on top.
Whip 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream with a handheld mixer or frother.
Spoon the cream over your drink and sprinkle a little shredded coconut on top.
Coconut Cold Brew Recipe Variations
1. Make Coconut Iced Coffee
If you don’t have time to make cold brew, simply brew a batch of hot strong coffee using a drip coffee machine or french press.
Put the coffee in the fridge to cool then pour over ice before adding the coconut simple syrup.
Iced coconut coffee will not taste as smooth as coconut infused cold brew, but it will still produce a delicious coconut flavored coffee in less time.
2. Try Cold Brew With Coconut Milk
I use dairy milk in this coconut coffee recipe. But if you prefer a stronger coconut flavor, or if you would like to make a vegan coconut coffee, use coconut milk instead of dairy milk.
Cold brew with coconut milk has a rich, creamy flavor. You can even try frothing your coconut milk for a coconut milk foam if you have a good automatic milk frother.
3. Add Some Fizz With A Nitro Coconut Cold Brew
If you love nitro cold brew coffee and own a nitro cold brew coffee maker, use nitro coffee in place of regular cold brew coffee to make a delicious coconut nitro cold brew.
4. Use Store Bought Coconut Syrup
Don’t have time to make a batch of coconut simple syrup?
Simply replace the homemade coconut syrup with store bought coconut syrup for a super quick option. I like this one.
The great thing about this option is you then have syrup on hand for your favorite coconut flavored drinks, cocktails and iced drinks too!
Cold Brew Coconut Flavored Coffee FAQs
The Starbucks Toasted Coconut Cold Brew was made with coconut simple syrup and topped with coconutmilk. Sadly it is no longer on the menu – all the more reason to make your coconut cold brew coffee at home!
The best way to make coffee taste like coconut is by using a coconut coffee syrup. It can be added to hot, iced or cold brew coffee and imparts a delicious coconut flavor in your favorite brew.
Yes, adding coconut milk to cold brew creates a rich and creamy cold brew coffee drink with a coconut flavor. Be sure to stir canned coconut milk before pouring over your coffee.
More Cold Brew Coffee Recipes
If you loved this recipe, here are some more great cold brew coffee recipes to try at home.
- Pumpkin cream cold brew coffee
- Starbucks Irish cream cold brew
- Salted caramel cream cold brew coffee
- Honey almondmilk cold brew
- Strawberry cold foam cold brew coffee
Discover more cold coffee drinks recipes or browse all our coffee recipes.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coconut Cold Brew Coffee
If you love coconut coffee drinks you will love this coconut cold brew coffee recipe. Made with cold brew, coconut coffee syrup and milk it is one of the best flavored cold brew coffee recipes for coconut lovers.
Cold Brew Concentrate
- 1/2 cup coarse ground coffee
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup water
Iced Coconut Cold Brew
- 1/2 cup cold brew concentrate
- 2 tablespoons coconut syrup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Whipped cream or cold foam (optional)
- To make the cold brew concentrate, in a French press add the coarse ground coffee. Pour the water over the top and place the lid on top. Do not push to the bottom. Leave overnight.
- After 12-16 hours, filter the cold brew concentrate from the grounds by pushing down your plunger. Use right away or pour concentrate into a jar or carafe until needed.
- To make the coconut simple syrup, in a small saucepan add your coconut, sugar, vanilla, and water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently on medium heat until the liquid thickens.
- Once the coconut syrup has reduced, strain into a small bowl and discard coconut. Use right away or store in a sealed jar in the fridge until needed.
- Fill a glass with ice and pour 1/2 cup cold brew concentrate over the ice.
- Add the coconut syrup, water and milk and stir to combine. Drink as is or see optional step for toppings.
- Optional: Add milk foam or whipped cream on top with a sprinkle of extra shredded coconut. Enjoy!
- For a vegan coconut cold brew, use coconut milk instead of dairy milk.
- Add more syrup for a sweeter drink. Syrup can be stored in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- For full step by step instructions on making cold brew in a french press see our guide here.
- To make simple cold milk foam, place 1/2 cup milk into an automatic milk frother (for cold milk) or use a handheld frother. Froth and pour over your drink right away.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g
Please note that nutrition information is a computer generated estimate and should not be interpreted as a dietitian's advice. Values can vary greatly among brands, amounts and ingredients used.