This copycat Starbucks iced apple crisp macchiato is the perfect Fall coffee drink you can make at home.
The combination of espresso, milk and homemade brown sugar apple crisp syrup is sweet with a subtle spiced apple crisp aroma that screams Fall!
If you enjoy drinking iced coffee drinks in the Fall, you will love this homemade iced apple crisp macchiato recipe.
What Is An Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato?
The iced apple crisp macchiato recipe combines espresso, milk, ice and a sweet brown sugar apple syrup.
Much like the Starbucks iced caramel macchiato, the result is a pretty layered espresso coffee drink.
Fruit and espresso seems like an unusual iced coffee drink flavor combination, right?
But the crisp apple macchiato flavor comes from a lovely spiced and caramelized apple brown sugar syrup.
The syrup gives the drink the subtle aroma and flavor of fresh baked apple crisp without being overly fruity.
What Is In The Starbucks Apple Crisp Macchiato?
The apple crisp macchiato Starbucks drink was released in Fall 2021 as a seasonal coffee drink alternative to the forever popular hot PSL coffee and pumpkin cream cold brew.
The objective was to create a Fall coffee drink that represented the classic flavors of the season and so the apple crisp macchiato was born.
The Starbucks apple crisp macchiato recipe includes ice, espresso, 2% milk, Starbucks apple brown sugar syrup and a Starbucks spiced apple drizzle.
There are 280 calories in a standard Grande iced apple macchiato drink.
More Starbucks Copycat Iced Coffee Recipes
- Irish cream cold brew coffee
- Iced chocolate almondmilk shaken espresso
- Salted caramel cream cold brew
- Honey almond milk cold brew
- Iced sugar cookie latte
Homemade Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato Ingredients
To make the homemade apple crisp syrup from scratch you will need:
- Green apple – I like the tartness of green granny smith apples, but feel free to use a sweeter red apple if you prefer.
- Apple cider – be sure to use a good quality apple cider, not apple juice.
- Brown sugar – the molasses in brown sugar is what gives the syrup a deep caramel flavor.
- Cinnamon sticks – essential for that aromatic spiced apple aroma.
Then to construct the DIY apple crisp macchiato you will need:
- Milk – I use whole milk for this recipe.
- Espresso – this recipe calls for 2 shots of espresso.
If you don’t have any of these ingredients, check out the substitutions and variations section below for ideas on what you can use.
How To Make Apple Crisp Macchiato At Home
Be sure to read the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and detailed instructions.
1. Make The Brown Sugar Apple Crisp Syrup
The first step is to make your homemade brown sugar apple crisp syrup.
This will make more than you need for one drink, so you can store it in the fridge for up to two weeks and make your iced macchiato recipe in seconds the next time you make it!
Or you can use the leftover syrup to drizzle over waffles or pancakes!
Dice the apple and place in a small saucepan with the other syrup ingredients.
Bring the mixture to the boil then reduce to medium-low and cook for around 10 minutes – or until the apples are tender.
Turn off the heat and leave to steep for around 15 minutes.
Then grab a fine mesh sieve and drain the syrup from the apples into a bowl.
Be sure to use the back of a spoon to press as much flavor as possible from the apples into your syrup!
That’s it – store the syrup in the fridge in an airtight container until needed.
2. Prepare Your Apple Crisp Iced Macchiato Coffee Drink
When you are ready to make your iced latte macchiato, grab yourself a tall glass and pour the milk into the glass.
Leave an inch or two of space for ice. Add your syrup and stir to combine.
Add enough ice to fill the glass then gently pour the espresso shots over the milk for a gorgeous layered effect.
Leave as is or stir to combine then enjoy immediately!
Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato Recipe Substitutions And Variations
If you don’t have cinnamon sticks on hand for the syrup, substitute with 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
You can use granulated sugar instead of brown sugar to make the syrup, but it won’t have the same taste as the molasses in brown sugar is what gives that delicious caramelized flavor.
The recipe calls for espresso, but if you don’t have an espresso machine, brew a strong batch of coffee and use 1/2 cup of coffee with 3/4 cup milk. You can even use cold brew concentrate.
If you want to make the iced apple crisp macchiato vegan and dairy free, milk alternatives such as oat milk or almond milk work well in place of whole dairy milk.
Copycat Apple Crisp Macchiato Recipe FAQs
Yes, the apple crisp macchiato is a seasonal drink on the Starbucks Fall Menu. If you love this iced macchiato and want to enjoy it year round, try our DIY recipe.
Yes, to make a hot apple crisp macchiato, simply ditch the ice and heat the milk using a milk frother or microwave.
The apple crisp macchiato has a subtle fresh baked apple crisp aroma and a sweet caramelized apple flavor.
Our iced apple crisp macchiato recipe is gluten free – however be sure to check the apple cider ingredients when you purchase as some brands are not gluten free.
More Fall Coffee Recipes
If you loved this iced espresso macchiato recipe, here are some more great Fall coffee recipes to try at home.
Find more coffee drinks recipes here or browse all our coffee recipes.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato
Our iced apple crisp macchiato with homemade brown sugar apple crisp syrup is the essence of Fall in a glass. Sweet apple brown sugar syrup, milk and espresso combined - it is the perfect Fall iced coffee drink.
For The Brown Sugar Apple Syrup
- 1 large green apple, diced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
For The Apple Crisp Macchiato
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar apple syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 shots (2 ounces) espresso
For The Brown Sugar Apple Cider Syrup
- Combine the diced apple, apple cider, water, brown sugar and cinnamon sticks in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for around 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the apple syrup from the heat and set aside to steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve, making sure to press the apples to extract as much of their flavor as possible.
- Pour the syrup into a jar or airtight container and store in the fridge until you’re ready to make the iced macchiato.
For The Iced Apple Crisp Macchiato
- Pour the milk and apple syrup into a tall glass. Stir to combine.
- Fill the glass with ice and gradually pour the espresso coffee over the top.
- Taste and drizzle additional syrup over the top if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The apple crisp syrup recipe makes enough for 5-6 drinks, depending on how sweet you like your apple crisp iced coffee drink. It can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Make sure to use a good quality, 100% apple cider, not apple juice.
- I love the tartness of green granny smith apples, but you can use any type of apple to make the apple crisp coffee syrup.
- If you don't have cinnamon sticks, substitute 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- If you don't have an espresso machine, use 1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee or cold brew coffee and reduce the milk quantity to 3/4 cup.
- Non-dairy milk alternatives can be used in place of whole dairy milk. Oat and almond milks both work well.
- Turn this into a hot apple crisp macchiato by heating the milk and skipping the ice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 127mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 31gProtein: 8g
Please note that nutrition information is a computer generated estimate and should not be interpreted as a dietitian's advice. Values can vary greatly among brands, amounts and ingredients used.