Have you seen the viral TikTok videos for Proffee? A delicious and simple protein coffee drink, it is super easy to make and tastes great too.
Here we explain how to make proffee with our step by step guide, tips on making a delicious protein iced coffee and different alternatives to experiment with at home.
You will be surprised at just how easy and affordable it is to get your caffeine fix and daily protein intake in one (or more) delicious cups of proffee. Let’s go!
What is Proffee?
Proffee is a unique coffee drink popular on TikTok which is made by mixing coffee and protein shake. The two ingredients are combined with ice to produce a refreshing iced protein coffee.
Most Proffee TikTok videos show people adding espresso or cold brew coffee with ice to their protein shake for a quick and easy coffee flavored protein shake.
Protein coffee is thought to assist with pre and post-workout recovery and can be helpful to those following a low-carb diet.
Proffee vs Protein Shake
So what is the difference between proffee and a protein shake?
Protein shakes are milk or water mixed with protein powder. They offer a convenient way to increase your daily protein intake, needed to support muscle growth and assist with weight loss.
Protein shakes come in a range of flavors, such as chocolate, vanilla, caramel, even coffee flavored. But most lack any significant amount of caffeine.
So for lovers of coffee and protein shakes, the proffee is the perfect way to combine your two favorite drinks into one.
Proffee blends your daily coffee with your protein to make a delicious caffeinated protein drink.
Proffee Ingredient List
So what ingredients do you need to make protein coffee?
There are a few different ways you can make proffee coffee, so we list the generic ingredients below, then go into more detail to explain your options.
- Hot or cold brewed coffee
- Protein powder or shake
- Flavors (optional)
It is important to use ice as it enhances the flavor of the protein shake, particularly those made with powder.
I have added a pinch of cinnamon to this vanilla flavored proffee recipe, but feel free to leave this out if you don’t like the taste. You can add sugar-free syrups to add flavor too.
Best protein to mix with coffee
The quickest way to make proffee is to add a ready to drink protein shake like these popular Premier Protein Shakes to your coffee.
With 30g of protein in each drink, they have a rich and creamy taste and they cut out the mess of blending your protein powder at home.
If you prefer to use protein powder, you just need to make up a batch of your protein shake before adding it to your coffee.
The advantage of using protein powder is you can control the amount of protein in each drink and reduce the calories too.
For my recipe I have used this vanilla flavored whey protein powder. It mixes really easily and has a great vanilla taste.
Tip: If you use non-flavored protein powder, consider adding some vanilla, cacao powder or spices like cinnamon to add some extra flavor to your cup.
Best coffee for proffee
Quite a few Proffee drinkers on TikTok order a double shot of espresso over ice from their favorite coffee store, like Starbucks. They then add a protein shake, like Premier Protein shakes, to the drink.
This is a good option if you are on the go, but when making proffee at home you have a few more options.
- You can pull espresso if you own an espresso machine
- Use regular drip coffee
- Make a batch of french press or pour over coffee
- Brew a batch of cold brew coffee.
The advantage of cold brew is it can provide a bigger caffeine boost.
It does take some time to brew, but if you are a regular cold brew coffee drinker, you probably have a jar of it in fridge most of the time.
See our full guide to brewing cold brew in a french press here.
Equipment List To Make Proffee At Home
So what do you need to make proffee at home? There are just a few pieces of equipment needed:
- Shaker if making protein drink from powder
- Coffee machine if brewing your own coffee
- Tall glass
How To Make Proffee
So how do you make TikTok protein coffee? We outline the steps below.
Step 1 – Brew your coffee
Brew your coffee using your home coffee maker or measure out 1 cup of pre-brewed coffee.
Step 2 – Make your protein shake
Make your protein shake according to the package instructions and measure out 1 cup of protein shake for use in your drink.
If adding cinnamon, mix it with your protein shake now.
Step 3 – Combine your ingredients
Place ice cubes in your glass, half fill it with coffee and then top up with your protein shake.
The ratio of coffee to protein shake is completely up to you. Add more or less to achieve your preferred flavor mix.
Stir to combine.
How many calories are in Proffee?
If you are using a ready to drink protein shake, your proffee will usually contain between 150-180 calories, depending on the brand and the quantity used in your drink.
How much protein is in Proffee?
The amount of protein in proffee will vary depending on the brand of protein powder used. Typically a single serve of protein shake contains between 20-30 grams of protein.
You can customize the amount of protein by adding more or less protein powder to your shake.
Can you drink protein coffee hot?
Many protein powders clump or produce a foamy drink when added directly to hot water, so many protein powder brands suggest combining protein with cold coffee drinks.
However it is possible to drink protein with coffee hot by combining with cold brew coffee first, then heating, or by adding powder once the coffee has cooled slightly. Alternatively, add a ready made protein shake to your hot coffee.
More Healthy Coffee Recipes
If you loved this recipe, here are some more great recipes with coffee to try at home.
- Honey almond milk cold brew recipe
- Homemade cashew creamer recipe
- How to make nitro cold brew
- Coconut cold brew coffee
If you want to make great cold brew coffee at home, see our simple cold brew guide.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Like this recipe? Don’t forget where you found it! Save it to Pinterest for later.
Quick And Easy Proffee Recipe
- Brew your coffee, if making fresh.1 cup cold brew coffee
- In a jar or bottle add the protein powder, water and cinnamon (if using). Close the lid well and shake until combined.1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup water, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place ice cubes into a tall glass and divide the cold brew between two glasses. Pour over ice to 1/2 – 3/4 full.1 cup ice cubes
- Top the glasses with the pre-made protein drink.
- Stir and enjoy right away while cold.
- You can make cold brew coffee at home (see my recipe here), or buy store-bought cold brew for a quick and easy preparation. You could also substitute brewed coffee that has been cooled.
- I use vanilla flavored protein powder in this recipe. But you can use your favorite flavor – other good options include caramel, chocolate and coffee for a double caffeinated boost. If using an alternate flavor, skip the cinnamon as it may not pair so well.
- The protein powder amount will vary depending on the brand of protein powder you use. You need 1 cup of protein drink for this recipe.
- The amount of protein will also vary depending on the brand. Check the label to work out how much protein will be in each drink.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.