Our easy chocolate fudge truffles topped with java chip Oreos are sweet and rich with a crunchy coffee flavored topping.
A delicious snack for coffee lovers, they are also an easy no bake dessert that are sure to impress.
Whether you are looking for coffee desserts, holiday treats or homemade mason jar food gifts, our condensed milk chocolate truffles recipe is perfect for you to make at home.
Homemade Chocolate Fudge Truffles Recipe
No bake chocolate fudge balls are one of my favorite treats to make at home. They are great in so many situations such as:
- A casual dinner with friends as an easy and tasty alternative to dessert
- They are perfect holiday treats to serve when entertaining
- Plus they make for impressive homemade gifts for friends and family.
We have given the traditional chocolate truffle recipes a little twist for coffee lovers with the addition of crushed java chip Oreos sprinkled on top.
The Oreos add a delightful crunch to the creamy, sweet filling inside.
Equipment To Make Chocolate Fudge Balls Recipe
You need very little equipment to make our Oreo cookie truffle balls and you will most likely have everything you need on hand:
- Double boiler or microwave proof bowl
- Heavy based saucepan
- Large tray
- Large mixing bowl.
I recommend using a double boiler like this one to melt chocolate as it melts the chocolate evenly and more slowly than in a microwave.
If you don’t have a double boiler, another alternative is to rest a heat proof bowl over a small saucepan of water on low heat.
When I am in a hurry I do use the microwave. You just need to heat the chocolate in short intervals of 20-30 seconds, stirring each time until almost melted.
Then remove the bowl from the microwave and stir to melt the last remnants of chocolate (which will melt due to the heat in the bowl).
Ingredient List for Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Truffles With Oreos
Our chocolate fudge ingredients include:
- Milk chocolate chips
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Icing (powdered) sugar
- Coconut oil
- Java chip Oreo cookies
As these choc truffle balls are all about the chocolate flavor, use the best quality chocolate chips you can afford.
I like to use Ghirardelli baking chips but Hersheys or Bakers brands would also be a good choice.
I have used milk chocolate for my mocha fudge ball recipe, but semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips are also delicious.
There are dozens of chocolate truffle coatings you can use. Common coatings include nuts, sprinkles and cocoa.
We wanted to add a little coffee flavored crunch to our chocolate mocha truffle recipe, and so we use decided to use Oreo cookies for something a little different.
Java chip Oreo cookies are brand new in 2021!
We are hoping this flavor sticks around, but Oreo flavors do tend to come and go.
So if you can’t find Java chip Oreos, look for other coffee flavored Oreos like mocha or latte or use your favourite Oreo flavor.
How to make Chocolate Fudge Balls
The first step in our chocolate fudge truffle recipe is to combine and melt the milk chocolate chips (2 cups) with the sweetened condensed milk (1 can).
Pop both ingredients in a heavy based saucepan over a low to medium heat and stir until fully melted and thickened.
Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and allow it to cool for around 20 minutes.
The reason you need to let the chocolate fudge mix cool is so you don’t need to add so much icing sugar in the next step.
Note: If the mix is hot, it will need more icing sugar than the recipe states.
Start adding the icing sugar to the chocolate mix, 1/2 a cup at a time. Stir with each addition.
Continue to add sugar until the mixture starts to hold its shape when rolled.
I have stated 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar, but you may need more or less depending on the heat of the mix and the density of your chocolate.
If you are using chocolate wafers, you may need to add more sugar. If you have used a thick and dense chocolate, you may need less sugar.
Once the mix is firm enough to roll, move on to the next step.
Roll 1 – 2 tablespoons of the mix into smallish balls using dry hands.
Flatten slightly to form a disk and place on a parchment lined tray.
Place the disks in the fridge for 1 – 2 hours or until firm and cold.
When you are ready to dip, combine the coconut oil (1 tablespoon) with your chocolate chips (1 cup) in a double boiler or bowl.
The coconut oil helps loosen the chocolate for dipping and gives the chocolate a lovely glossy sheen.
Heat gently and stir until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat.
Take your disks out of the fridge and gently dip the disks in the melted chocolate with a fork.
Place the disks on the parchment lined tray and garnish with crushed Oreo biscuits.
Leave to set for around 20 minutes.
Serve or store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
Mocha Chocolate Truffle Balls Recipe Variations
- Use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate for the fudge mix and / or to dip your no bake truffle balls.
- Crush more java chip Oreos and roll your chocolate dipped truffles in the crushed Oreos to fully coat the balls for a crunchy alternative.
- Use different Oreo flavors on top if you can’t source java chip Oreos. Mint Oreos, peanut butter Oreos or mocha Oreos would all work well.
More Coffee Recipes to Try
If you loved our chocolate truffle coffee balls recipe, here are some more great recipes with coffee to try at home.
- Chocolate espresso granola
- Iced caramel macchiato
- Cold brew waffles
- Mocha chip cake mix cookies
- Coffee granita
Find more cooking with coffee recipes here or browse all our coffee recipes.
If you want to make great coffee at home, discover the best coffee beans here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mocha chocolate fudge balls
These easy chocolate condensed milk truffles topped with crushed java chip Oreos are the perfect easy no bake dessert for coffee lovers.
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
Chocolate coating ingredients
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 5-6 crushed java chip Oreos
- Line a tray with parchment (baking) paper.
- In a heavy saucepan melt chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Stir until fully melted and thickened up.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
- Mix the powdered (icing) sugar into the melted chocolate, 1/2 a cup at a time until the mixture starts to hold its shape when rolled (see note 1 below).
- Roll 1-2 tablespoons of mixture into a ball, flatten slightly and place on lined tray.
- Place tray in the fridge for 1 - 2 hours until firm.
- When you are ready to dip the truffle balls, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or in the microwave (see note 2 below).
- Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat and take your truffles out of the fridge.
- Place each truffle on a fork and gently dip into the chocolate to coat.
- Place chocolate dipped truffle balls on the parchment lined tray and garnish with the crushed Oreos.
- Leave to set for 20 minutes or until chocolate is dry.
- Serve or store in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
1. The amount of sugar you need will depend on the type of chocolate used. I used a thick milk chocolate. If you use wafers or less dense chocolate you may require extra icing sugar to achieve the right consistency.
2. Use low heat to the melt chocolate in a double boiler. If using the microwave, set the timer for 20 seconds at a time and stir in between each time. Do not overheat or the chocolate may separate.
3. I have used milk chocolate, but dark chocolate also works well for both the truffle mix and the chocolate coating. You can also use milk chocolate inside and dark chocolate on the outside.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 6g
Please note that nutrition information is a computer generated estimate and should not be interpreted as a dietitian's advice. Values can vary greatly among brands, amounts and ingredients used.